Sunday, September 03, 2006

All is Fair in Love and War

During times of international conflict, Soldiers justify their slaughter of other people by believing "all is fair in love and war". In such war, it is "fair" to destroy Hiroshima because Japan would have done the same thing to the opponent.

This isn't a post regarding world history or war. Just a few thoughts on how "all is fair in love (and nothing to do with war)"

This is what I know, we have individual conflicts that we battle every minute. Each second is an instance to make a decision or an instance to waste undecided. There came a time when I was through with security -of just not taking a risk because I am scared to be left hanging, to be found needy and left unassisted. I wasted not only seconds but years before I decided to love again.

I know what I am laying on the line of fire. My heart and my emotional stability (that took me a long time to put back together after devasting breakups, one after the other and another). I know that, at some point, it was all a ruse --the attention you are showing me, the wanting, the passionate moments. I told you, I would never ask if all these were real because that would not be fair. I'll just wait and see. Then found your desire fluttering and I chased it while I still can but I never asked for you to retire your wings and stay. If I asked that of you, it would be unfair too.

I know your inner battle. Each second is an instance to make a decision or an instance to waste undecided. Like I, you have wasted years of holding back and the time has come for you to take your most desired moment -to have her by your side. There are three simple rules in conquering; 1. If you do not go after what you want, you will never have it. 2.If you do not ask, the answer will always be a no. 3. If you do not step forward, you will always be in the same place. Taking and losing is a matter of decision.

Without an inch of sarcasm and loathing, I'm at peace with how things went. All is fair in love and war.

Letting go of an unrequited love is not really hard to do, it only takes another second to decide to end the misery because wasting a few more seconds of indecision is self mutilation.

No comments: